Welcome to The Shift expert series with naturopath, nutritionist and author Katherine Maslen as she explores the state of human health, the dysfunction of the health industry and provides people with the tools, knowledge and understanding to make the shift in their lives.
In the expert series of The Shift, Katherine explores deeper conversations with the world leaders featured in season one, the investigative docu-series on the gut. If you want to make the shift towards more informed decisions regarding better health, then this podcast is for you.
Dr Leo Galland is an Internist and an MD from New York that specialises in the treatment of complex chronic disorders and is considered globally as one of the leading pioneers in studying the gut microbiome and intestinal permeability. He is listed as one of the Leading Physicians of the World and America’s Top Doctors.
Dr Galland is a graduate of Harvard University and New York University School of Medicine, and is board-certified in internal medicine. In 2017, Dr. Galland was awarded the Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award by Marquis Who’s Who, which recognised his contribution to the medical world.
Dr Leo Galland has published 7 books including The Allergy Solution, The Fat Resistance Diet and Already Here. He has received international recognition for developing innovative nutritional therapies to treat autoimmune, inflammatory, allergic, infectious and gastrointestinal disorders and has described his work in numerous scientific articles and textbook chapters.
In this episode Katherine and Dr Galland explore:
- What an Internists role is in medicine and what drew Dr Galland to become a professional in this field
- Studying at Harvard University and New York University School of Medicine
- Why Dr Leo believes in the integrative medicine approach and how through practicing he has become better placed to effectively help his patients
- Profound examples of patient success stories through alternative medicine and changes to diet
- Dr Galland’s research into gut microbes and how his findings have helped to shape today’s understanding of the microbiome
- Fascinating studies into the effects of yo-yo dieting and mice
- The gut microbiomes role in neuro-inflammation, hormone production and studies linking the microbiome to stress and mental health
- The global increase in auto-immune diseases and allergies, and how our environments, nutrition and lifestyle choices impact the development of these conditions
- Hidden allergies and potential causes including food intolerances and exposure to harmful chemicals such as formaldehyde
- The loss of Dr Gallands son Christopher who passed away at the age of 22, but left Leo with a remarkable gift inspiring him to consider the afterlife and to share Christopher’s story by writing the book Already Here