22. Summer Bock on Fermentation, Eating for the Microbiome and the Power of the Healing Journey
Welcome to The Shift expert series with naturopath, nutritionist and author Katherine Maslen as she explores the state of human health, the dysfunction of the health industry and provides people with the tools, knowledge and understanding to make the shift in their lives.
In the expert series of The Shift, Katherine explores deeper conversations with the world leaders featured in season one, the investigative docu-series on the gut. If you want to make the shift towards more informed decisions regarding better health, then this podcast is for you.
Summer Bock is a fermentationist and gut health crusader from Tennessee, USA. Summer is the founder of Guts and Glory, and is a trained herbalist with a background in microbiology and is certified by Columbia University in Integrative Nutrition.
Summer has helped thousands of people to reach better digestive health and continues to empower her clients through sharing her knowledge in fermentation and encouraging others to make their own raw ferments to improve and nurture the gut microbiome.
In this episode Katherine and Summer Bock explore:
- What a fermentationist is?
- Summers personal story and the struggles with her own health that guided her pathway to integrative medicine
- Some of Summer’s favourite ferments and the nutritional benefits of consuming these types of foods
- Raw vs store bought ferments
- Kombucha – the gateway ferment
- Eating to build the microbiome and the foods that support this process
- The negative effects of antibiotics on the gut microbiome
- Orthorexia and the troubling impacts of health influencers on social media
- How stress effects gut health
- Strategies for treating constipation
- The power of the healing journey and a remarkable story of one of Summers clients
- Why we ignore our symptoms until they become bad