Welcome to The Shift Patient Series with naturopath, nutritionist and author Katherine Maslen as she explores the state of human health, the dysfunction of the health industry and provides people with the tools, knowledge and understanding to make the shift in their lives.
In the Patient Series of The Shift, Katherine talks with real people about their health journeys, the roadblocks along the way and what it takes to make a shift. If you want to make the shift towards more informed decisions regarding better health, then this podcast is for you.
In this episode of The Shift Patient Series we have Hayley, who’s main health issues have been chronic asthma, immune deficiency, allergies, skin problems and bloating. Hayley’s health problems impacted her throughout her childhood and over a 6 year period she was hospitalised 40 times.
Once Hayley was an adult she started to recognise the link between her diet and how it exacerbated her symptoms. Hayley has been on a health journey for the majority of her life, but the last 6 years have been where she has made the most progress.
In this episode Katherine and Hayley explore:
- Hayley’s health throughout her childhood, her struggles with asthma and spending a lot of her time as a youth in hospitals
- A look at Hayley’s diet growing up and how some foods may have been triggering her symptoms
- The connection between stress and the onset of Hayley’s symptoms
- Hayley lists the various treatments and medications she has used over the years, including over 50 courses of antibiotics
- The steps that Hayley first took towards alternative health and her experience during that time
- Why people take cosmetic issues seriously but choose to ignore other ongoing health concerns
- How health influencers on social media are creating unrealistic body expectations in today’s women
- How Hayley made the connection between her diet and the triggering or escalation of symptoms
- Hayley’s dental problems and understanding that the mouth has its own microbiome
- The biggest shifts that Hayley has made along her health journey
- Where Hayleys health is at now and the areas she regularly working on