The Patient Series Jane’s Story
Welcome to The Shift Patient Series with naturopath, nutritionist and author Katherine Maslen as she explores the state of human health, the dysfunction of the health industry and provides people with the tools, knowledge and understanding to make the shift in their lives.
In the Patient Series of The Shift, Katherine talks with real people about their health journeys, the roadblocks along the way and what it takes to make a shift. If you want to make the shift towards more informed decisions regarding better health, then this podcast is for you.
In this episode we have patient Jane, who has lived with several chronic health issues throughout her life including SIBO, period pain and anxiety. Jane’s healing journey began 8 years ago and as she acknowledges the work really only began once she was ready to pay attention to her emotional health and the relationship that it has with her physical health and symptoms.
One of Jane’s biggest roadblocks was taking responsibility for her own state of health. It can be confronting to accept that the decisions we make in life can have a positive or negative impact on our health, and that we are ultimately responsible for our health. This has been a huge part of the journey for Jane as she describes throughout this interview.
In this episode Katherine and Jane explore:
- A look at Jane’s health from childhood to present and the health issues that have followed her throughout her life
- Exploring emotional trauma and how it links to some of Jane’s physical health problems
- Jane shares her experience with hormones and the difficulties she has had around her periods
- The importance of understanding a patient’s full health story to achieve true collaborative health
- What it took for Jane to take her symptoms seriously and seek help
- Exploring the emotions connected to physical symptoms like bloating and how they made Jane feel
- Building a better relationship with food and making mealtimes positive
- Being diagnosed with SIBO and how the effect it had on Jane’s life
- Conversation around period pain and hormone health
- A look at where Jane’s health is at currently and some of the bigger lessons she has learned so far