Being grounded is something that we all need. When we’re grounded we feel present in our bodies, calm and certain of what we need to do. We’re in touch with ourselves and are able to tackle the day with a certain grace and ease.
But more often than not, the busyness and craziness of our lives pull us out of this state.
Here are 5 signs that you’re not currently grounded:
- Your mind is racing and busy but you can’t focus on any one thing that you need to do.
- You find yourself engaging in easy distractions to avoid both your tasks and your own looping thoughts.
- You are tired and wired at the same time.
- You find it difficult to complete projects and jump from one thing to another.
- You feel restless and discontent with your surroundings, yourself, and the people around you.
These are very clear signs that you are not grounded. It means your physical state and emotional state are not balanced and you can easily feel overwhelmed, lost, and confused.
So what can we do?
To be grounded, really means that we are in touch and connected with ourselves. Our mind and bodies feel aligned, we are aware of our surroundings and in tune with how our body is feeling and what we might need at any given moment.
There’s calmness and ease to our demeanour and we feel confident in our presence.
This is the kind of state of clarity and it really encourages us to make the best decisions and to communicate clearly.
Unfortunately, our modern busy lives can so very easily tip us out of alignment with this grounded presence, but simple daily practices can bring us back home, back to calm, clear, and connected.
To ground ourselves on a daily basis, try any of these simple actions:
- A ten-minute meditation – there are many specifically designed to ground and anchor your energy. Mind Shift has a very grounding meditation in week one. This can instantly clear out the cobwebs.
- Connect the mind and body with some simple stretches in yoga practice.
- Get out in nature and mindfully just absorb yourself in its beauty and calming presence. Put your bare feet on the ground if you can. If this isn’t possible as a city dweller, take ten minutes out of your day to just mindfully be with an aspect of nature that’s available to you. Maybe you can sit and have a cup of tea without your phone or any other distractions and just observe the intricacies of a plant, patch of grass, flower, tree, or the sky.
- Take some deep breaths, mindfully connect again with your senses and ask yourself “what do you need right now”
- Have a “mindful meal”. Nourish yourself by preparing a meal for yourself that you consciously create with the best ingredients you can afford. Make it as simple or as elaborate as suits. Eat it slowly and mindfully savouring every mouthful.
While we all get pulled out of balance sometimes and do not feel our minds and body in harmony, if we practice with some practical and effective tools we can return to a more connected and grounded place.
We work on grounding ourselves in the first module of our wonderful 8 Week Mind Shift program.
This is an amazing 8-week program that will help you feel calm, clear, and connected.
You can check it out and purchase the program for just $97AUD here.