We live in a world of seemingly endless choice and information. While this choice and data has allowed us all to become better informed on what we consume and surround ourselves with, this avalanche of knowledge has also given rise to a world of misinformation and manipulation of choice.
Welcome to The Shift, an investigative series that follows naturopath, nutritionist and author Katherine Maslen as she explores the dysfunctional nature of the health industry and provides people with the tools, knowledge and understanding to make the shift in their lives. Each episode of The Shift features interviews with industry experts in gut and general health from across the globe. They accompany Katherine in tackling the difficult questions surrounding global health. If you want to make the shift towards more informed decisions regarding better health, then this podcast is for you.
In episode #12 of The Shift, dysfunction in the industry we call health – part 2, Katherine continues to delve into the world of big industries and their influences on our health. Katherine is joined by Dr. Vincent Pedre, Dr Tom O’Bryan, Dr Marvin Singh, Kale Bock, Nat Kringoudis, Pedram Shojai, Jenny Tschiesche and Pete Evans. The second part of this episode looks at how we have arrived where we are in health today, how influence has taken root in the health decision we all make and what is the shift to take back to better health.
In this episode we also cover:
- Life jackets, and fixing problems by understanding the why
- Differences between the naturopathic or functional medicine approach and the allopathic approach to medicine
- Integrating a more holistic approach to diagnosis with integrative practitioners
- Ego and how this prevents us from moving forward
- Fast tracking and quick fixes
- The shortcomings of self-diagnosis
- How time in consultations can be a large factor in providing the right treatment
- Why doctors own beliefs can sometimes overrule evidence based proof of alternative therapies and approaches to health
- The impact of private enterprise on research in the health field
- Why the rise of Dr Google has a continued effect on the way people think of diseases and healthcare
- Having a level of skepticism is good, but should be weighed against evidence and seeking advice from professionals
- Why reaching better health is a timely process
The Shift Episode #12 guests, in order of appearance:
Dr. Vincent Pedre
Dr Tom O’Bryan
Dr Marvin Singh