11. Dysfunction in the industry we call health – part 1
The current state of our health is in a crisis. With commercial enterprises sponsoring health studies and the information we are provided each day mixing between real science backed facts and marketing lingo, it’s hard to figure out who is the right voice to listen too.
Welcome to The Shift, an investigative series that follows naturopath, nutritionist and author Katherine Maslen as she explores the dysfunctional nature of the health industry and provides people with the tools, knowledge and understanding to make the shift in their lives. Each episode of The Shift features interviews with industry experts in gut and general health from across the globe. They accompany Katherine in tackling the difficult questions surrounding global health. If you want to make the shift towards more informed decisions regarding better health, then this podcast is for you.
In episode #9 of The Shift, dysfunction in the industry we call health – part 1, Katherine dives into the turbulent world of big industries and their influences on our health. Katherine explores if there’s a link between big pharma and the state of our health, where dietary guidelines actually come from as well as medical mismanagement and the epidemic of quick fixes.Katherine is joined by Rodney Dietert, Steph Lowe, Dr William Davis, Jenny Tschiesche, Pedram Shojai, Dr Leo Galland, Dr Felice Gersh, Dr Tom O’Bryan, Kale Bock, Dr David Perlmutter and Pete Evans.
Also within this episode:
- The dire state of health across the globe
- The evolving guidelines of the food pyramid
- Why the health star rating has become obsolete
- Big industry’s impact on The USDA’s new dietary guidelines
- Jamie Oliver, influential food bloggers and a dietary message
- How governmental guidelines could be killing us
- Removing dairy and wheat from our diet and what that means economically for Australia.
- The Dietetics Association of Australia severing ties with big food brands
- How American taxpayers are subsidising harmful food ingredients and the effects on the health industry
- How big pharma manipulates practitioners
- Big pharma’s dominance within in media
- The shocking case study results of some FDA approved drugs
- Why it takes so long for game changing translational research to reach the mainstream
- White coat syndrome, and the over prescription of antibiotics
- How to determine if what we are being told is true
- Lifetime treatment planning
The Shift Episode #11 guests, in order of appearance:
Dr William Davis
Dr Leo Galland
Dr Felice Gersh
Dr Tom O’Bryan
Dr David Perlmutter