10. Food part 2 – what do I eat?
Some of the foods humans love to eat are also some of the worst for our bodies, especially the gut. But not all of us are made the same. Knowing how foods like wheat, dairy, grains and processed foods impact you at an individual level can ensure you are making the right choices for your personal health.
Welcome to The Shift, an investigative series that follows naturopath, nutritionist and author Katherine Maslen as she explores the dysfunctional nature of the health industry and provides people with the tools, knowledge and understanding to make the shift in their lives. Each episode of The Shift features interviews with industry experts in gut and general health from across the globe. They accompany Katherine in tackling the difficult questions surrounding global health. If you want to make the shift towards more informed decisions regarding better health, then this podcast is for you.
In episode #10 of The Shift, food part 2 – What do I eat?, Katherine looks into the 4 most common food intolerances humans have: Dairy, Gluten and Carbs and Grain. She investigates why these items are having such an impact and what is really happening to them when they reach the gut microbiome, and why popular “healthy”diets might not always be the right approach. Katherine is joined on this episode by Dr David Perlmutter, Dr William Davis, Pete Evans, Dr Marvin Singh, Angela Pifer, FMN, CN, Summer Bock, Dr Felice Gersh, Lee Holmes, Dan Churchill and Aly Cohen.
This episode also covers:
- Nourishing your gut and brain
- Reverting back to old feeding practices -Mimicking primitive diets to feed your gut flora
- What are Paleo and Ketogenic diets and are they good for you?
- FODMAP diet – what is it?
- The importance of fermented foods and the miracle of SCOBYs
- Thinking about the food we consume as a wellness program and not a diet
- Fasting and why you should give your digestive system time to restore itself
- Enjoying a diverse diet and building a better relationship with food
- Why we forget the impact our hormones have on our system
- Organic food and the implications of that label
The Shift Episode #10 guests, in order of appearance:
Dr David Perlmutter
Dr William Davis
Dr Marvin Singh
Angela Pifer, FMN, CN
Dr Felice Gersh