25. Dr Felice Gersh on Women’s Health and the Gut’s Relationship to Fertility – Part 1
Welcome to The Shift expert series with naturopath, nutritionist and author Katherine Maslen as she explores the state of human health, the dysfunction of the health industry and provides people with the tools, knowledge and understanding to make the shift in their lives.
In the expert series of The Shift, Katherine explores deeper conversations with the world leaders featured in season one, the investigative docu-series on the gut. If you want to make the shift towards more informed decisions regarding better health, then this podcast is for you.
Dr Felice Gersh is a very rare integrative gynecologist and has been a board certified obstetrician and gynecologist for over 20 years. Dr Felice specialises in hormonal management and has worked with countless women, helping them through pregnancy, birth and with reproductive issues like PCOS, endometriosis and thrush.
Dr Gersh is the author of ‘PCOS SOS’, a guide to understanding and managing Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. She has been awarded the Orange County Medical Association’s ‘Physician of the Year’ Award for the last 13 years consecutively, and Southern California’s ‘SuperDoctor’ Award for the last several years too.
In this episode Katherine and Dr Felice Gersh explore:
- The personal events and circumstances in Felice’s life, that helped shape her pathway to becoming a doctor and ultimately specialising in obstetrics and gynecology
- Why Felice started to incorporate integrative medicine in treating her patients
- The relationship between the microbiome and the increase in C-sections
- Understanding vaginitis and how to manage the symptoms
- The link between the oral contraceptive pill and cervical cancer
- What the current research is showing us about the vaginal microbiome
- How gut health connects to the reproductive health of men and women
- Strep B and the use of antibiotics during childbirth