- ½ large head of cabbage
- 1 carrot
- 1 heaped tbsp sea salt
- Finely slice the cabbage and carrot. Add to a large glass bowl.
- Sprinkle the salt and any other optional flavourings over the cabbage and carrot. Toss together to combine.
- Massage the mixture firmly to release liquid from the vegetables. Do this until there is more liquid than solid.
- Put the vegetable mixture and the liquid into a glass jar. Press down on the vegetables to compact them and to release any air bubbles. Ensure the liquid level is about 2cm or more above the vegetable level.
- Secure the jar with a lid, and put away into a cool, dark place.
- Taste the kraut after 7 days. If you are happy with the flavour, put the jar into the fridge. If it needs to keep fermenting, leave it out and continue to taste test every
- 1-2 days until you are happy with the flavour, then refrigerate once it’s done