31. Angela Pifer on Understanding SIBO and Healthy Relationships with Food
Welcome to The Shift expert series with naturopath, nutritionist and author Katherine Maslen as she explores the state of human health, the dysfunction of the health industry and provides people with the tools, knowledge and understanding to make the shift in their lives.
In the expert series of The Shift, Katherine explores deeper conversations with the world leaders featured in season one, the investigative docu-series on the gut. If you want to make the shift towards more informed decisions regarding better health, then this podcast is for you.
Angela Pifer a.k.a. the SIBO guru, is one of the US’s foremost functional medicine nutrition and health experts, and an accomplished speaker and radio personality. With over 15 years experience in functional nutrition, Angela has become a vast resource for understanding areas such as digestive health, SIBO, thyroid, autoimmune and gut disorders.
Angela has also launched the first commercially available FODMAP free bone broth line ‘GutRx Bone Broth’. The broth is allergen free and was developed for those with sensitive gut disorders. Angela is also the founder of ‘Simply SIBO’ an online resource for low FODMAP recipes and nutrition plans.
Just recently Angela published a 15 page manifesto titled ‘The Pervasive Misunderstanding of What The FODMAP Diet Does And Does Not Do’. The publication provides clarity for those both new and old to the FODMAP diet and is a must read for those looking to gain further knowledge on the topic.
In this episode Katherine and Angela explore:
- Angela’s personal health journey and background in psychology
- What is a functional nutritionist?
- Our personal relationships with food and how life events shape our nutritional habits
- Why gut health is so important and the common gut issues presented by patients
- Understanding SIBO, it’s symptoms, causes, testing and treatments
- The difference between SIBO and dysbiosis
- FODMAP’s and restrictive diets
- A look at the impacts of stress on our health and lifestyles
- Angela’s advice for making the shift
Angela Pifer – Website
Angela Pifer – Facebook
Angela Pifer – Twitter
Angela Pifer – LinkedIn